Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sweet Deception

I'm trying this recipe from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. It's for brownies, and it has a few unusual ingredients, as you know if you've ever heard of this book. I've been meaning to try out some of her recipes, but I kept forgetting until this week when my friend Amy had some brownies at her house she'd made from this recipe. Hers were pretty good, so I'm hopeful. That said, I pureed my veggies without steaming them first, and I had to make a couple other adjustments to the recipe because I was running low on some things. So, we'll see. I'm giving it to you as it's published. Let me know if you try these or have tried any of the other recipes from the book. I love the idea of sneaking healthy ingredients into food you'd have been making already.

Makes 12 Brownies - Make sure you don't serve these warm if you don't want to taste spinach.

Preheat oven to 350 and coat an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick spray

3 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup carrot puree*
1/2 cup spinach puree*
1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2t pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup oat flour or all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low flame.

Combine melted chocolate, veggie purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla; whisk until smooth and creamy, 1-2 minutes.

Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35-45 minutes.
Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 brownies.

*To make the purees, steam your veggies, cool, and puree using your food processor or blender. Add water if you need to to get them nice and smooth. If you need more direction, google the cook book and author, and you'll find some more info.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay, they are all done, cooled, and we've all eaten some. I won't lie to you and say they are THE BEST brownie you'll ever eat, but a darned good choice if you're looking for a nutrition boost and just can't resist the sweets. I think next time I'll play around a little to see if I can get them to pack a little heftier chocolate taste, but I really liked the texture and tasted no veggies. I doubled the batch so I could freeze some to put into lunches. Hope you try them too.

Kerilee Law said...

But... but... what good is a brownie if it's not served warm/hot with ice cream???!??

Jessica said...

I know, I know! I had the same thoughts. I'm planning on having the kids switch to these though. My Alex is a sugar fiend, and I don't want to let it get out of control.