Monday, September 29, 2008

Only Slightly Deceptive This Time

I'm trying another Deceptively Delicious recipe tonight. This one is not so far out there, just adding carrot puree to turkey meatloaf. No biggie, but it has no egg, so I wonder how it'll turn out. I'll let you know. Here's the recipe:

Meatloaf - serves 8

1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I don't keep these, so I just make toast, crumble it, and add some Italian seasoning)
1/2 skim milk
2 T olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 grated parmesan
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/4 ketchup
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 cup bottled tomato sauce
4 slices turkey bacon (I find turkey bacon to be an abomination, but we're giving it a shot here!)

Preheat oven to 350, and coat a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray (I also never keep this, so I just crisco the pan like I would if I were baking a cake.)

In a large bowl, soak breadcrumbs in milk.

Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add onions, stirring occasionally for 7-10 minutes. Add celery and cook another 3-4 minutes. Add this mixture to the breadcrumb/milk bowl. Also add turkey, parmesan, carrot puree, ketchup, salt, and pepper. Mix and dump into pan. Spread tomato sauce over, and top with the fake bacon. Bake 45-50 minutes, til center is no longer pink and bacon begins to brown.

It's in the oven, and I'll let you know what I think in the comments. Let me know what you think if you also make it. Happy eating.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I've got one complaint. Too much celery. Otherwise, we'll have it again. The kids ate it, and we all liked it.