Monday, November 24, 2008

Sausage Kale Soup


I just got this recipe from my friend Amy. I don't know where she got it from, but I think it's at least a version of the Zuppa Toscana at Olive Garden. I've never had it there, but when Amy makes it, it's really yummy. Don't be afraid of the kale. It won't hurt you. I'll be making this soon so that I can eat some and freeze some. I'm taking some liberties with the directions to turn it into a one pot meal. The fewer dirty dishes around here, the better. Thanks, Amy!


Sausage Kale Soup


2 bunches of washed kale, stemmed and chopped

2 lbs italian sausage (casings removed if you buy it in the casings), as mild or spicey as you like

4 medium red potatoes, chopped

8 ounces chicken broth

1 quart half & half

1/2 chopped onion

3 crushed garlic cloves


In your soup pot, cook sausage, stirring to break it up, until browned. Drain and set aside. Don't wipe out the pot. Use the remaining oil from the sausage to saute the onions and garlic. When they are cooked, add the chicken broth, half and half, and potatoes. Cook til potatoes are fork tender. Add back in the drained sausage. Add the kale, and cook until it's done. (You could also add the kale to the sausage to get it wilted before adding to the soup.) Serve warm. If you want to freeze it, let it cool, double bag it in a freezer bag, and pop in the freezer.

No comments: